Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 11th 2010

Today's Distance: 27 miles + a lunch-time ride of about 8 miles.
Route: Commute to and from work
Lunch ride to the National Arboretum: Took the most direct route there from 1301 K Street NW Washington, D.C 20005 down 13th to H street, then East on H street to Bladensburg Rd. Terribly bumpy. Up Bladensburg Rd. to the Arboretum. Route back was down Bladensburg Rd. to Maryland Ave, to the Capitol, then Massachusetts Ave to 13th St and back to work.

Comments:
The Arboretum is a great place to ride once you get there, but getting there is the tough part. I would suggest taking your bike on the metro to Union Station, then taking my reverse route of Mass Ave. to Maryland Ave. to Bladensburg Rd to the Arboretum. http://www.usna.usda.gov/.

On the way back down Bladensburg Rd from the Arboretum I had to take to the air about 8 times or so as I came across lots of potholes and it was rainy and my stopping/slowing distance was impacted. Not sure it was so good for my bike, but I hopped over these gaping 2-foot wide wonders and bumps. I was amazed at how much more mobility and freedom I had when I wasn't towing my bike trailer as I do on my commute.

At the bottom of the Asian Garden area, you go out through a fence to the Anacostia River.
Looking back from the river to the Arboretum...this would actually be a nice place to picnic.
Saw beautiful Rhodedendrons, and so many, many (as you might expect) other beautiful shrubs, plants, trees, flowers...

One of my favorite sites there at the Arboretum is the Captiol Columns. These were the original columns that were removed to make way for construction way back when. They eventually placed them here, and it is kind of striking in a nice setting at the top of a hill.


On June 12 Alice and I will ride 100 miles as an incentive to our friends to contribute funds to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Click here to support us.



1 comment:

  1. I've always loved hearing about your rides and am glad you started this blog!

    ReplyDelete