Route: Commute to work & home again + a lunchtime ride
Comments: Sore legs on ride in. Glad my brakes work again...I had lost a brake pad on my morning ride yesterday. I slipped the new one in and inserted the pin properly.
Maybe I will take a lunch-time ride out to where I think I lost the pad.
UPDATE: I took the lunch time ride and then some!
Rode by the White House (just a few blocks from work), hopped over to G Street, then up Virginia Ave to K Street and the beginning of the Capital Crescent Trail. I was amazed at how accessible this route is to work.
So this is where I was pretty sure I had lost my brake pad, next to this trestle. The Crescent trail heads up over the C&O Canal, while the tow path heads on West towards Great Falls and eventually Ohio.
I found it!
It had fallen off when I had left the tow path to go up this steep part to the nicely paved Crescent trail. Stupid me, I could have just gone a couple hundred yards East to where the tow path joined with the Crescent trail. Applying my brakes to keep my bike from rolling backwards had forced the pads out of the shoe.
So for extra adventure and to satisfy my curiosity, I crossed the rail trestle and headed up to Bethesda MD on the Crescent trail. I got kind of lost where it turned into the Georgetown Branch Trail and decided to turn and head back to work. I feel sorry for the folks that have to ride through this scary tunnel.
But I found something that I KNOW I will return to some day. A coworker had told me about this place, which he says has the best stuff. So this will be a good date. Do you think Jen or one of the girls would be willing to ride 15 miles to get here and then 15 to get back home? Or we could go from home 3.5 miles to cross over the Wilson Bridge to National Harbor and settle for Ben&Jerry's?
On June 12 Alice(?) and I will ride 100 miles as an incentive to our friends to contribute funds to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Click here to support us.
You keep having great adventures.
ReplyDelete